Death certificates are available only for “this year and last year” from the Vital Statistics Office.
Death certificates for “past years” are available from the Sonoma County Clerks Office.
Get a Certified Death Certificate
You will need:
- One completed application form for each requested death certificate.
- Photo ID.
- Sign the "Sworn Statement" (page 2 of the application) in front of the clerk.
- Fees: Death certificates: $24. Fetal death certificates: $21.
- In person:
- Payment by cash, check, money order, Visa or MasterCard credit card, or debit card.
- By mail:
- Payment by check or money order, payable to Sonoma County Department of Health Services.
- Payment by credit or debit card, call the Office of Vital Statistics at (707) 565-4407 to provide your payment information.
- By fax:
- Payment by credit or debit card. Call the Office of Vital Statistics at (707) 565-4407 to provide your payment information.
Get a Certified "Informational Copy" Death Certificate
A certified "informational copy" of a death certificate is a copy that cannot be used for legal purposes and is marked "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY."
If you need a copy for a legal purpose, you must obtain a certified death certificate.
In person, by mail or by fax. You need:
Update a Death Certificate
If there is incorrect or missing information on a death certificate, you may make a request for an amendment. The Office of Vital Statistics can assist in preparing or requesting amendments to death certificates for all years of death.
Not sure which form you need? Call the Office of Vital Statistics at for more information. (707) 565-4407